The earliest form of the Faculty was “Sakarya School of Engineering and Architecture” which was opened in 1970 and affiliated to Ministry of National Education. The school started education including 160 students at Department of Machine and Department of Civil Engineering. In 1971, the school was named as “Sakarya State Academy of Engineering and Architecture” with the law numbered 1418. Department of Industrial Engineering started to give education in 1977 and Departments of Electrical Electronics Engineering and Metallurgical Engineering started in 1980. Students were accepted for Master and Doctoral Programs since 1980 and the education for these degrees were carried out by ITU Institute of Science.
In 1982, the Academy was turned into “Sakarya Faculty of Engineering” which was affiliated to Istanbul Technical University. In addition, Vocational School of Sakarya and Vocational School of Düzce which were opened in 1976 within the structure of Ministry of National Educational General Directorate of Higher Education were affiliated to Sakarya Faculty of Engineering. In this way, Faculty provided education with 5 departments and 2 vocational schools.
Then, the Faculty was affiliated to “Sakarya University” in 1992. Currently, the Faculty includes 8 departments (Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Electrical Electronics Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Metallurgical and Materials Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Geophysical Engineering, Food Engineering). Except the Department of Food Engineering, all departments offer evening education.
6 departments in the Faculty (Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Electrical Electronics Engineering, Metallurgical and Materials Engineering, Environmental Engineering) were accredited by Association for Evaluation and Accreditation of Engineering Programs (MUDEK) until September 30, 2015.
More information: http://www.mudek.org.tr/tr/akredit/akredite2013.shtm